The 20th H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival & Cthulhucon is taking place in Portland, Oregon from October 2-4, 2015.
This is the 20th anniversary event and so far new guests this year will include Jeffrey Combs and Charles Stross and held at the Hollywood Theatre. A big part of the festival are – the films. Most are independently produced and come from around the world.
There are also, historically, some excellent panel discussions, and these are usually themed by area of interest and populated by known published authors.
Some Tips for Travelers
The Hollywood Theatre is located in the Hollywood District of Portland. That isn’t as glamorous as it sounds but it is conveniently located for public transportation by bus or by MAX, the public transit service.
It isn’t easy finding parking near the theatre but there are some quiet areas within 10 blocks. Portland hotels tend to be more expensive than its worth to pay. Your best bet to save a buck is to check the PDX Amazon Local or Airbnb.
What else is there to do in Portlandia?
- The Lovecraft Bar is located in Portland though I cannot attest if it will be your thing or not. If you are comfortable in black leather, this may be the place for you.
- PDX is the home of the largest independent bookstore in the world, Powell’s Books. It has a very large SF / Fantasy / Horror floor. The main store is a multi-floored city block plus extensions. Eat it Amazon!
- PDXPipeline is a good source of information about the local music and bar scene.
- Portland prides itself on its foodcarts, and there are many pods located around the city. Voodoo Donut is also a lot of tasty fun.
- The Portland Saturday Market is wedged under the Burnside Bridge on Saturday and Sunday. Once you get past the homeless folk on the bridge you’ll like it. Also you can catch MAX nearby.
- The Living Dead Horror Convention is also a thing coming in November if you decide to hang around like the other young people who come to Portland to retire.
- Are you an rpg or board game fan? Guardian Games is the granddaddy of Portland gaming, though The Portland Game Store is supposed to be the thing now. And you can drink beer at Guardian Games, too.
- Wait, you like exercise? PDX is extremely bike friendly. But be forwarned that bike thievery is very common in Portland. If you end up renting and there is reasonable insurance available – you should get it.